Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Gardenhistorygirl is writing a book!


"A member of the Pole family at her desk C. 1806 at 14 St. James Square, Bristol"
From the collection of Bristol Museums and Art Gallery



When I was doing my garden history degree in Bristol I went more than once to its museum to see this watercolour of a daughter of the Pole family at her desk c. 1806.  I had a similar long window in my university accomodations, though not so commodious a view, and a laptop rather than a quill pen but still, it kept me writing. 

And now this little notice has appeared in Publisher's Marketplace:

From Garden History Girl blogger Paige Johnson, THE LITERATE GARDEN: from the secret gardens of medieval monasteries to Gatsby's infamous "blue gardens" to the atom-blasted seeds of the 1950s, a cultural history of the garden -- as viewed through the lenses of science, politics, art, architecture, literature, and more -- that explores what our evolving relationship with the cultivated outdoors reveals about us as people, to Denise Scarfi at Norton, by Danielle Svetcov at Levine Greenberg Literary (World).


18 months to write, with a hopeful appearance in 2015!  I'm thrilled, and looking forward to sharing so many garden stories with you, both here (I'll still be blogging) and in the book. 


24 comments:

dervla kelly said...

congratulations!! Sad it didn't find a home with us, but still super happy for you :)

Jose Santos said...

Congratulations!! I'll be one of the first to buy it in europe!! I do love to read what you write in the blog and many time thought 'this would give a good book'. It was a shame to loose all these great stories hidden in something so old like the pleasure we take to be among plants!
I'm really very happy for you!

Tara Dillard said...

Can't wait.

Garden & Be Well, XO T

ChrisU said...

I'm psyched!

peacay said...

Well done that girl! It sounds to be a thoroughly interesting undertaking.

Hedera said...

Congratulations - I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, and I'm sure the book will be wonderful. :)

Susan Libertiny said...

How wonderful! The topic of the book sounds amazing. I hope you will be sharing updates on your progress in your blog. I know it will be a great read. I'm looking forward to it. I love your blog.

Susan Libertiny said...

How wonderful! The topic for your upcoming book sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to reading it. I really enjoy reading your blog and imagine your book will be amazing. Congratulations!

The Intercontinental Gardener said...

Congratulations! I'll certainly buy it, it sounds just as interesting as all your posts have been the last years. All the best with the writing process! Liisa.

Toby Musgrave said...

Looking forward to it. And what a lovely painting. Do you know the garden?

Anne Wareham said...

Yeah!!!! Well done.

Gardeningbren said...

Can't wait!! How thrilled you must be. We will all be looking forward to reading it. Good luck!

Kathy Wilder said...

We have to wait 'til 2015???

Patty said...

I look forward to reading your book. Congratulations!

Katxena said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome!

Ivy Clad said...

Congratulations! What fun (and hard work)!

Keri

Sweet Life Garden said...

Good to hear! I love what you write on your blog and am looking forward to reading your book! Congrats to you!

scottweberpdx said...

Congratulations...that's tremendous, can't wait to see it!

Noel Kingsbury said...

Good news about the book. I look forward to it. Keep me posted about publication dates, so I'll try and review it.

Hoover Boo said...

Wonderful! Looking forward to your book. Now comes the work.

And what a magical painting.

Gardening Under The Influence said...

Save me a copy!

Katie Bedlow said...

Many congratulations, although it's clear you deserve it! I have found your writing immensely inspiring, so I will be reserving a copy for sure! Garden History is such a rewarding and diverse subject, I really hope I can dedicate myself to a suitable course in the near future! I would be only too happy to learn!

Katie

Emily Schiller said...

I just found your blog, and it's wonderful! First let me say I want your book. I will definitely buy your book. The subject is fascinating and your writing is fabulous. What a gem this blog is!

Emily @ Gardening Through a Lens

Commonweeder said...

Congratulations! I am so glad your wonderful writing will find its way to a larger audience, and that I'll be able to have it right by my bedside What glorious news!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...