Monday, January 4, 2010

Garden History Image of the Week: Garden of Caterpillars by Ernst Kreidolf



from the online exhibition of 'Creepy-Crawlies' at Princeton University's Cotsen Children's Library:

"This is the caterpillar garden of Herr Hermelin, the ghostly white figure in the lower left-hand corner. He visits the pen every morning before breakfast, so he can admire their gorgeous coloration, stroke their backs, and make sure that each of his beauties is getting its favorite vegetation and is feeding well."

Kreidolf (1863-1956) was one of the most important Art Nouveau book illustrators in the German-speaking world. The anthropomorphized plants and animals inhabiting the pages of his Sommervogel are among his most haunting creations."

9 comments:

Elephant's Eye said...

I enjoyed more delights in the rest of the online exhibition.

Chookie said...

Thank you for the link -- what lovely stories!

Judybec said...

so fascinating! I'm off to check the link for more...

Ivy Lane said...

Happy New Year..and please keep these wonderful, informative posts coming!

How It Grows said...

Great image!

Commonweeder said...

I just found your blog and I love it. I've been reading Dear Mr. Jefferson by Laura Simon and I've just asked my library for a copy of Mac Griswold's book about the gardens of Monticello. I also loved Andrea Wulf's book, The Brother Gardeners. So much to learn and enjoy in these books. When I did a brief stint as a guide at Historic Deerfield I loved reading the old agricultural guides - just like reading a modern organic guide. I loved being told that it was important to feed livestock well so that you would have high quality manure for the fields. And thus good forage and pasturage.

kompoStella said...

i wish you a Grand and Glittering new year :-)

zoe said...

what an excellent find! thanks!

creativeworksforchildren said...

Fabulous caterpillar garden - I love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...